The concept is simple, the rewards are priceless!
Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to have read 1,000 books (yes, you can repeat books) before they start kindergarten.
Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it. By reading just three stories a day, you and your child will have easily read over 1,000 books in one year. You will also have shared many special moments along the way.
Reading together helps develop important pre-reading skills that provide a solid reading foundation – a key to school and learning success.
How It Works
- Stop by the Brown Deer Library and receive a reading record that you can use to keep track of your books. If you read a book more than once (or over & over), you can record it each time. Books read at library story time, at daycare, or by others to your child also count!
- Each time you finish 100 books, bring your reading log to the library and your child will receive a paperback book. After finishing 1,000 books, your child will receive their choice of hardcover book and special recognition on our Wall of Fame. Most importantly, they will get an awesome jumpstart on success in school.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth, until he/she enters kindergarten.
- How long will the program take?
The program can take anywhere from a few months to a few years, so don’t feel rushed – just enjoy the experience! The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate?
All of them, provided that they have not yet started kindergarten. Make it even more fun and read as a family!