Tax Bills & Tax Payment Information
Please read requirements and instructions before clicking on link below to the web portal.
Visit the Property Tax Information Database
The Village of Brown Deer tax bill is printed in an 8 1/2 by 11 inches laser printed 1-part format. Please remember to send the whole bill "and" a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment to allow us to provide a receipt for your records and properly identify your payment. If you do not send in a self-addressed stamped envelope, we will not return a receipt to you. You will have to come into Village Hall in person to get a copy.
During the month of December, all real estate owners in the Village of Brown Deer will receive their tax bills. The following information will help you to understand the procedure involved in the payment of your taxes.
The Village of Brown Deer offers the following two options for payment of your taxes:
- Full Payment Option
- Full payment of real estate taxes plus special assessments, if any, are due on or before January 31st
- Installment Option
- No Reminder Statements Will Be Mailed: Please Remember the Due Date
- First Installment: 50% of net real estate taxes plus all special assessment charges are due on or before January 31st
- Second Installment: 25% of net real estate taxes are due on or before March 31st
- Third Installment: 25% of net real estate taxes are due on or before May 31st
It is very important to note that if a payment is to be considered timely, it must be received or postmarked on or before the due dates indicated above. Any amount unpaid as of the due dates shall be considered delinquent and, when collected, will require an interest and penalty payment of 1 1/2% per month retroactive to February 1st on the total unpaid balance of the tax bill, no matter when the last payment was made.
- The Village will no longer send return envelopes with the tax bills
- You will not automatically receive a receipt if you mailed in your payment.
- If you want a receipt you will need to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope or you may come to Village Hall for a receipt.
Citizens are encouraged to make their tax payments by mail to increase collection efficiency. Please do not mail us your original tax bill; instead mail us a copy of the bill or legibly write the parcel numbers (which can be found in the upper right-hand corner of your bill) that you are paying for, on your bill. The Village of Brown Deer will mail a receipt taxpayer only if a self-addressed, stamped envelope is included. The address to mail your tax payment is:
Village of Brown Deer
4800 W Green Brook Drive
Brown Deer, WI 53223
If payment cannot be made by mail, it will be accepted at the Village Hall, 4800 W Green Brook Drive, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm or after hours in the tan drive-up depository box located outside in front of the Village Hall.
(checks from mortgage companies)
- If the check is for more than the amount of the tax bill, a refund check will be mailed within 15 business days. If you desire an immediate refund you should contact your mortgage company to see if they will reissue your payment as two separate checks: one to the Village of Brown Deer for the total taxes due and a second to you for the difference.
- Checks issued to two taxpayers whose names are separated by "and" require signatures of both. Names separated by "or" require only one signature.
- The full amount of the escrow check must be applied to the tax bill; you cannot pay just the first installment and receive a refund.
Lottery & Gaming Credit
(Located in the middle of your tax bill)
If you did not receive a Lottery and Gaming Credit on this tax bill and you are eligible (see requirements below), you have until January 31st to file an application with this office. You may request an application by calling the Treasurer's Office at 414-371-3046. You can also view the application on the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website here: https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/Form/lottery-home.aspx.
- You must have been the owner of this property on January 1st and you must have used this property as your primary residence. Primary residence is where you live most of the time. When you are away, it is the home to which you intend to return. You can only have one primary residence.
- If you purchased the home after the January 1st date, the new owner must attest that to the best of his knowledge the previous owner owned and used the home as their primary residence as of January 1st.
Credit Card Payments
- Pay your Village of Brown Deer installments or full amount of real estate and personal property taxes with a credit card by calling 1-844-435-3983 or by visiting the Village of Brown Deer Taxes page.
- Please print out your receipt or write down your confirmation number; you will not be mailed a receipt from the Village of Brown Deer. There is a 2.55% service fee, a minimum of $2.00 for all taxes. There is a fee of $3.95 for personal Visa debit.
Delinquent Real Estate Property Tax Information
The Village of Brown Deer collects the current year's tax bills until August 1st. All delinquent accounts are turned over to the Milwaukee County Treasurer's Office for further collection. Information is available over the phone at 414-278-4033 or on the Milwaukee County website.
Questions Regarding Your Property Taxes
The enclosed bill includes taxes for all taxing districts. The Village of Brown Deer only controls the "Village" portion of your tax bill.
The Village of Brown Deer is not responsible for the other taxing districts.
Any questions you may have regarding property taxes for the various tax districts should be directed as follows:
|Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC)||414-456-5500|
|Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District (MMSD)||414-272-5100|
|School District of Brown Deer||414-371-6750|
|Village Assessor - Affiliated Property Valuation Services||608-436-3038|
|Village of Brown Deer - Tax Information||414-371-3046|