What do you need a permit for?

Here is a list of some of the most common things that you DO need a permit for.
Building Permits:

  • Remodel the basement (rec. room, office, playroom, etc.)
  • Construct a storage shed
  • Construct a garage
  • Construct an addition to house or garage (including 3-season or screen room)
  • Construct a deck
  • Apply siding and/or soffit & fascia
  • Roofing (tear off or second layer)
  • Install a swimming pool (above-ground or in-ground)
  • Install a hot tub (exterior)
  • Erect a fence
  • Install a patio door (if none exists)

Electrical Permits:

  • Remodeling of any kind where outlets or lighting is added or changed
  • Upgrade electrical service
  • Upgrade electrical panel box
  • Wire garage door opener
  • Wire central air conditioning and/or furnace, even if replacing existing units
  • Wiring for swimming pool or hot tub

Plumbing Permit

  • Install new or replace existing fixtures (toilet, bathtub, sink, dishwasher, laundry tray, water heater, etc.)

H.V.A.C. Permit

  • Install new OR replacement furnace and/or central air conditioning
  • Install a fireplace or wood burning stove
  • Install a space heater

This list does not cover every type of permit you may need. A good rule of thumb is to call the Building Inspection Department before starting any project to ask about permits.
If you have any questions, feel free to call the Inspection Department at (262) 346-4577

A common problem occurs when homeowners hire a contractor to perform work for them and the contractor neglects to obtain the necessary permits and, in some cases, fails to perform the work properly. To prevent this problem from occurring on your project, we recommend the following:

  • Have an understanding with the contractor, in writing, who is responsible for obtaining the permit. Permits must be obtained by the contractor doing the work.
  • Do not pay the contractor in full but withhold a mutually agreed percentage of the contract until the work is completed and inspected and approved by the Building Inspection Department.
  • Be aware that plumbers, electricians, and HVAC contractors must all be licensed by the State of Wisconsin, and construction contractors must be certified by the State of Wisconsin to perform work on your home.